Here at Osa Healthcare Recruitment we are committed to finding wonderful staff who share our values and are dedicated to providing professional, caring and high quality services. We want to find the right people the right role for them.
Job Title: Learning Disability Support Workers
Location: Lifton, Devon
Length/Type of Post: Permanent
Our client specialises in the care of people with learning disabilities and associated complex needs, such as autism.
It boasts a unique set up with a beautiful newly developed group of cottages situated on 5 stunning acres of land. It is a fun place for residents to live and each cottage offers the individuals a welcoming home, where they have independence alongside an excellent support network.
- To provide practical and emotional support to the service users and assist in their daily living for them to be as independent as possible.
- To ensure that a safe, caring and homely environment for service users is maintained which will allow and encourage them to develop to their full potential.
- To report to the Senior Support Worker, Deputy Manager or Home Manager (as applicable) on your observations on service users mental, physical, spiritual and social wellbeing.
- To assist in the administration of medications in accordance with legal requirements and the policies and procedures.
- To assist Senior Care Workers in their key workers role with individual service users.
- To assist and encourage them in maintaining good personal hygiene and appearance.
- To assist service users, as required, with their personal hygiene and care such as dental hygiene, bathing or washing and dressing, dealing with incontinence if appropriate.
- To ensure service users are awakened and prepared to attend their day time activities i.e. day centres, appointments, training etc.
- To assist service users with their laundry and general tidying of their rooms.
- To assist and encourage them in keeping their clothes and personal belongings in a reasonably tidy and clean manner.
- To ensure that handovers are accurately received and given, ensuring that all necessary documentation is written before the end of the shift such as the message book and the service user’s daily notes and all such documents are read at the commencement of shift.
- To ensure confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- To ensure that all work-related problems / issues, whether personal or service user orientated, are discussed with the home manager.
- To liaise with other professionals as and when necessary, regarding service users.
- To supervise and assist at mealtimes.
- To ensure emergency procedures are known and are adhered to when necessary.
- To ensure that the layout of the buildings including fire exits, fire call points, smoke detectors, fire equipment and fire control panels are known.
- To ensure the reporting of any occurrences or concerns that may put service users, staff or visitors at risks, in regards to the home environment.
- To ensure all communal areas are tidy and safe.
- To ensure all kitchen areas are kept clean and tidy. Ensure all fridges are switched on and are closed properly.
- To ensure laundry room is kept clean and tidy ensuring that the guidelines for the usage of the machines are adhered to.
- To ensure the environment is safe and secure; and to be fully conversant in all policies and procedures such as fire procedures, health and safety, violence, correct medication etc.
- Team Responsibilities
- To assist with the induction of new staff.
- To act responsibly with regards to other staffs’ well-being.
- To participate in staff meetings, training and teaching sessions.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised from time to time to reflect the changing needs of the client.
Type of candidate that we are looking for
- Have the desire to make a difference.
- Have the desire to make service users feel safe, valued and nurtured.
- Have an ability to work autonomously with diligence, consistency and enthusiasm.
- Have passion and energy for delivering quality care.
- Be an excellent role model and have the ability to motivate and influence others.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work on your own initiative and be a well-integrated team member.
- Willingness to participate in continuing professional development
- Flexible and positive approach to work patterns/schedules and business needs
- Excellent punctuality, reliability and a strong desire to accomplish operational goals and objectives
- Caring, friendly and empathetic approach to client group with the ability to build professional relationships
- Ability to remain calm and collective in a difficult and pressurised situation Able to demonstrate good organisational and time management skills
- Have a good, solid level of both Maths and English.
- Be able to problem solve and be solution focused.
- Be able to work as part of a team.
- Be able to build rapport with both colleagues and service users.
- Be able to drive and have access to own car.
- Experience in work duties similar to the above job description.
- Whilst prior experience is not essential as training can be provided, it is important you understand your reason for entering a care profession. Whilst the job can be highly rewarding it can also be demanding both physically and emotionally.
What our client is offering the successful candidate
- Rewarding job role.
- Good Salary.
This job role will involve working around vulnerable people therefore your employer may be required to check whether you have a criminal record via the Disclosure and Barring Service (known as a DBS check). You will also be asked questions as part of our self-disclosure section on the application form. We operate a fair recruitment process and do not discriminate. Any information you provide will be considered fairly and lawfully.
We are committed to being an equal opportunities company as are all the companies we work with. All applicants will be considered fairly and free from prejudice or discrimination.
We are very proud to say that we have signed the mental health at work commitment. We are passionate about mental health and we are dedicated to doing everything we can to promote mental well-being, support people who are struggling and break down the stigmas of mental health problems. We only work with companies who share our beliefs and care for their employees’ metal health and well-being.